Monday, April 16, 2012

Agression and Life...Can it be unlearned???

My story begins in 2008 with the fight that ended life as my kids knew it and started a new life and a new me.. I was arguing with my kids dad and it escalated to a physical fight with a lot of pushing and screaming on his part. In all this confusion my son who was 3 and a half at the time was struck by the car with his father at the wheel. This is when I went nuts. I got my son into my car and was trying to get my younger son who was 2 at the time and as I found my son and picked him up BAM his dad hit me right in the face. The pushing and hitting continued until I grabbed the only thing I could a wooden handled sledge hammer. I remember hitting him a few times with this to get him off my child and I all this happened so fast. I remember thinking that my other young child was in the car and my older kids were playing at the neighbors so if he got this hammer from me that would be the end. That made me more aggressive in my fight right then.. I was able to get him off of us and get to the door as I opened it he punched me in my eye. I was a little disoriented but as I went out there I saw my best friend who grabbed my kids dad and threw him in the back of his car and drove him out of there.  My older son had heard commotion and called my best male friend and told him I was in trouble and needed him. The police and ambulance came and my friend told them where he had taken my ex and he was arrested. He then tried to get charges of aggravated assault on me, but the prosecutor saw my actions as self defense. I am not a violent or aggressive person. I am not proud of this situation that I put my children in, but I am glad that when it came down to it I was aggressive enough to probably save mine and my kids life.
After this ordeal my younger son was very aggressive if  he wanted something from someone he took it and if you said no he hit you. This went on for awhile, even while he under went counseling as did all my kids and myself after this. Now almost 4 years later my son still has an aggressive attitude, he stands up for himself and does not let people intimidate him, which is a good and a bad thing, but the acts of physical aggression are getting lower and lower. On the other hand my son who was hit by the car, he is very timid and shy, only recently has he began to stand up for himself and when you ask him why he tells you he does not want to be like his old dad. That what he did was wrong and it is not nice to hit even when you are angry. This is an extreme case of aggression, but it happens all the time. This situation also changed the way I parent my kids, they used to receive spankings, now after going through this spanking is no longer used in my household. I truly believe that when a child is shown life in one way when they are young enough and then introduced to a new life with consistency and balance they can be changed....

No comments:

Post a Comment